Offered In the Spring Semester
Students attend this program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s Langley Campus in February and March for 6 weeks during their grade 12 year. Students will attend THSS and then be bussed to KPU in Langley for the six weeks. During the program, students also have the option of working with a horticulture employer from mid-April to June. This program is a Level 1 Apprenticeship Technical Training program. It provides the common core of technical knowledge needed to move into the next levels of landscaping and / or production. Paid work placements will be arranged by School District staff based upon recommendations from the Kwantlen faculty. Students may receive either Work Experience or Secondary School Apprenticeship credit should they choose. Grade 12 students will have an opportunity to fully participate in graduation ceremonies at their home school.
• Horticulture practices
• Plant health & plant materials
• Soils • Pest management
• Plant identification & plant science
• Equipment maintenance
• Supervisory skills
• Tuition is paid by Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows School District, saving the student approximately $900.
Costs (paid by students)
• Rain gear and safety equipment as required (approximately $250.00)
• Text books and workbooks as necessary (approximately $400.00)
Students receive 8 elective graduation secondary school credits: Horticulture PSIJ 12A Horticulture PSIJ 12B.
Optional Course Credits are WEX 12A or SSA 11A WEX 12B or SSA 11B Students will receive ITA credit for the Level 1 Apprenticeship Program
Application Process: A student’s application must include the following: • SD42 Application Package - Click Here
All Post Secondary forms must be filled out online, printed off and signed before submitted to the Trades Dept.
• Kwantlen Application - Click Here. • Kwantlen 3rd Party Waiver Forms - Click Here. • Photocopy of Birth Certificate if you are new to the school district
For More Information about this trade please see the ITA website - Click Here