The Program is a joint Partnership with BCIT. Students will be BCIT students and School District 42 Students. The course is located at Westview Secondary in Maple Ridge. Program times are 830-300 pm for the duration of the school year. A practicum is included.
Automotive technicians repair and test motor vehicles. They disassemble, inspect and assemble engines and accessories, cooling systems, transmissions and clutches, drive lines, braking and suspension systems. Automotive technicians employ logic and deductive reasoning in diagnosing and troubleshooting mechanical as well as electrical/electronic vehicle systems.
This 30 week entry-level program provides you with the basic knowledge and practical skills needed for entry into the automotive industry. As a graduate, you could pursue a career as a general repair technician or choose to specialize in one of the varied career paths that have emerged within the industry. You will also receive credit for your first level of apprentice technical training from the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and 450 hours credit towards your time in trade. Upon successful completion of this program, you will be scheduled to write the Provincial Level 1 apprenticeship exam. Program costs: Students are responsible for the following program costs: Books and supplies: $650* Non refundable application fee: $75 *Estimated cost only - subject to change (These Costs Represent a savings of over $3000 if this course was taken after Graduation)
The minimum grade for individual courses is 70 percent. An overall GPA of 70 percent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program. (ITA requirement) Dual Credit Students who successfully complete AST -level one will have completed 9 courses for 36 credits on the secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive the BCIT certificate
AUTO 1500 Workplace Safety
AUTO 1501 Employability Skills
AUTO 1502 Tools and Equipment
AUTO 1503 Electrical/Electronic Systems
AUTO 1504 Wheels, Hubs, and Tires
AUTO 1505 Welding
AUTO 1506 Brake Systems
AUTO 1507 Suspension Systems
AUTO 1508 Steering Systems
AUTO 1509 Principles of Internal Combustion Engines
AUTO 1510 General Automotive Maintenance
Students must have completed Grade 11 by the end of the academic year. Grade 11 students must be enrolled in a course of study that will lead to Grade 12 graduation upon completion of high school.
A MATH 11*
• ENG OR COM 11*
• Grade 12 ENG OR COM can be taken concurrently
• A valid BC Class 7N or Class 5 driver’s licence is a standard program requirement
(*May take the BCIT Pre-Entry Math and Reading Assessment in lieu of Math or English)
Selection priority will be:
• School District No. 42 High School students who meet qualifications
• Out-of-district High School students.
• Adult grads and Adult non-grads. Application Process: A student’s application must include the following: • Most recent Diploma Verification Report - See your work experience coordinator or counsellor • Partnership Program Plan - Click Here • Resume • BCIT Application - Click Here • Cover letter indicating motivation and interest in program • School District No. 42 application form - Click Here • Cheque payable to School District 42 in the amount of $75.00 (non-refundable) • Photocopy of Birth Certificate if you are new to the school district. * Work Experience Form - Click Here * For More Information about this trade please see the ITA website - Click Here